Like many other organisations, Y Whittlesea has adapted to the challenges set by COVID-19. We have altered our services and programs to ensure that we can continue supporting people with disabilities and their families.
We are always looking for new information and resources that might improve lives of those impacted by disability. And as Australia gets vaccinated, the stress attached to getting the jab has been the latest challenge to tackle.
Amaze has teamed up with Disability Services around Australia to develop social scripts that outlines the process of getting a COVID-19 vaccination to autistic people.
Getting a vaccine is a stressful process for most people, and especially for people with autism. These social scripts are designed to reduce anxiety by providing autistic people with an opportunity to prepare themselves for their vaccination.
What are social scripts, and how can they help?
Social scripts are story-based strategies using images and descriptions to explain new experiences and social environments to autistic people. Social scripts often include very specific and illustrated information about what an autistic person can expect.
While the social scripts have been developed for autistic people, anyone who is feeling anxious about the process of getting a COVID-19 vaccination can use and benefit from the resources.
How to use the COVID-19 vaccination social scripts
Although vaccination centres and GP clinics differ in layout and location, the social scripts have been designed to easily applied to any situation where someone is receiving a COVID-19 vaccination.
Here are some tips for using the social scripts:
- Download the social scripts and the vaccination questions below prior to your appointment.
- Either save the scripts to your phone where you have easy access or print them out to refer to on the day.
- Review the instructions in the lead up to the vaccination until you feel comfortable with the process.
- Download and read the Preparing for COVID-19 vaccination document below. This document provides a list of ten questions you will need to answer before getting a COVID-19 vaccination. You might find it easier to fill these in at home and bring them with you.
- Consider letting the health professional giving you the vaccination know you have prepared for the vaccination by using a social script.
Download the social scripts and preparation questions
Getting your COVID-19 vaccination webinar
In a webinar hosted by Amaze, viewers learned the benefits of using the social scripts and had the chance to ask questions about the process of getting the COVID-19 vaccine.
You can watch the full webinar below:
If you need more advice…
Autism Connect is available 8 am – 7 pm, Monday to Friday.